Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why on Earth am I Starting a Blog?

Whenever I cook something I always validate the effort - (and the fact that I stand hanging over every one's meals with a look of expectation on my face) by saying I was a Fat Italian Gramma in a former life.  I think this makes me feel better because in the Italian culture the gramma is respected for her efforts and is given a "pass" when she wants to hear how people feel about the dish.  And it doesn't hurt that most grammas make really great food.  So I accept compliments greedily.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I force food and pester picky people.  I have even been know to pick favorites based on people who like my food and will eat it.  Fortunately, my friends are all too polite to tell me my food stinks and therefore 1) I really don't know if my food sucks and 2) I don't get any pointers on how to make the food better - or if it is worth sharing.
I have had two recent food surprises: First, my good fried Jennifer - the pickiest person I have ever know visited a local foodie restaurant and tried all kinds of exotic foods.  I was totally jealous!  But, I knew that she could be my new Guinea pig and that helped calm my envy. We are one step closer to "same same".

Second, my in laws accepted an invitation to eat at our local Indian restaurant - Tandor Restaurant.  Let me interject here that I was totally under the assumption that their uber Midwestern Norwegian pallets could only handle one turn of pepper mill before it was way too "strong" for them.  So, when they tried everything (but saved the goat for next time) I was astonished!  Apparently all of the food that I cooked and either renamed or they were too polite to refuse had made a difference!  Awesome!  More new guinea pigs for me!

So, to a make a long blog short - I have a lot of food memories, funny experiences and recipes to share and let's face it - facebook doesn't really have a function that allows you to easy share these things.  There is only so much witty crap you can fit into four sentences before you have to make a decision to remove the phrases like " yes - I mean use real garlic - not the pre cut stuff from a jar, not the little frozen cube from Trader Joes - for god sakes smack a clove or garlic and dump it into your sauce - come on people!!!!" If I didn't specify these nuances then they would use the grap garlic and the recipe would be bunk and it would turn out bad and then what would my reputation be? Snoody Foody with Bad Recipes?  No thanks.  So read at your own caution - and if you choose to make a recipe and omit or tweak a detail do so at your own risk and make it your own - because once you change something from my recipe it is no longer mine.  Which is just fine.

One last thing - I am really bad at writing so excuse the bad grammar, lack of punctuation run-on sentenses and miscellaneous use of symbols like - ! ~ and ().  It feels more personal when I use them and plus I went to Fridley.  Ok, one other thing - I will try to keep this G rated but I make no promises.  Sometimes you gotta keep it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment