Friday, August 19, 2011

Bacon bacon bacon it's BACON!!



It’s been over two months since the last time I posted!  Thank you for coming back!!

I went to Walker and spent almost three weeks at the cabin and it was totally awesome.  There were a few cooking related instances to note.  The first being that I actually went out and bought a peeler knife and a 10 inch chef’s knife.  I just couldn’t stand the ones they had there and wasn’t going to take it for three whole weeks!  I know they were appreciated because anytime someone else cooked they used them.

I was able to sample some food that my cousin made – he is a chef and I have always wanted to talk to someone about cooking while they are cooking and I got my chance.  I am sure I was totally annoying because I asked him and talked about nothing but cooking for like 4 days in a row.  I couldn’t help myself!
So my cousin made bacon pancakes one morning and they were surprisingly good.  I do like the way the bacon tastes when it runs a foul and bumps into the pancakes – but never at the guts to mess with my pancakes.  It’s hard to try something new when you know that it would work out 100% perfect if you do what you always and know how to do.  The chance of screwing it up – especially y for company really detours me from doing that. 

It was surprising simple. He diced up the bacon into about 1 inch by ½ inch pieces and then sautéed them until they were crispy – this is important because having little chunks of fatty flaccid bacon is totally disgusting!! I don’t like flaccid things….
He put the bacon bits into the batter along with some of the bacon fat.  When he went to cook the pancakes he brushed some of the reserved bacon fat on the griddle and that infused another layer of delicious baconey goodness. 
Since we are taking about sweet breakfast items I have a recommendation: In the organic section of the grocery store they have mini blueberry waffles – they are perfect for messy little kids.  I went to the golden fit on grand avenue and purchased some maple syrup sugar and after applying butter on the waffles I sprinkle that delicious stuff on the waffle and I don’t have to worry about my son making a huge mess like he does with normal syrup but I don’t rob him from the chance to taste maple syrup.  Righteous!

No comments:

Post a Comment