Monday, June 27, 2011

Don't make me huntz you down and slap you

Somehow I managed to drive to my moms house, buy and make the meal and it was to celebrate my birthday.  Now that is commitment to go food.  Mom threaten to take something out of the "freezer".  There is nothing wrong with freezer meat - I have a ton of it myself and it's economical - but I wanted a caloric bomb of mass carbohydrate  destruction.

So, I made my puttanesca pasta sauce and it was so delicious and easy you should make it too.  I will even put a variation below to make it even more time-friendly. 

But, here is the thing... you use the shortcut you really must at least try and find Chento Sanmarsano tomatoes.  They are amazing and they can take the place of par-boiling tomatoes, skinning them and gutting them.  If you can't use find Chento then use Cantadina - but for gods sake don't use Huntz - they are NASTY.  Meir Glen is also a good organic brand but not very well spiced.  However, I will use their roasted tomatoes over any other brand and especially home made because in this case it just isn't worth the time and energy.  But I need to say again - DON"T use Huntz.  Huntz is the tinny, metallic, bland ketchup of tomatoes productions so stay away from it when you make this recipe.

And the second thing.  This recipe contains Anchovy fillets.  Don't be afraid I guarantee you ate them in many Italian sauces before without knowing it and it's the secret ingredient in this recipe.  If you say "yuck I don't like fish" I will reach out of the Internet and slap you - because as I stated before - the recipe is killer, easy and it doesn't taste like anchovies or fish.

Please give this one a go -it's my birthday gift to you on my birthday!

3 lbs ripe tomatoes - the big round ones or 4 large cans of stewed tomatoes cut into reasonable size pieces.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
*6 anchovies fillets
10 cloves of crushed garlic
1 tbsp fresh red pepper FLAKES - don't be a woosie
handful of whole green olives (garlic stuffed is awesome)
one jar of capers - they all come in about the same size jar - drained
1/2 cup of diced fresh flat leaf parsley
1-2 large jars of sweet roasted red peppers - drained
1 lb of pasta

In a large deep pan saute the garlic, olive oil, anchovies and red pepper until the anchovies melt into nothing.  Then, add all of the rest of the ingredients and cook for 20 min.  At the end put in the parsley so brighten up the color.  Make the pasta, toss it into the sauce to coat and you are done.

If you have access to a ton of tomatoes you can use them by tossing them into a pot of boiling water (can be the same on as you will use for the pasta).  Once the skin cracks take them out and set them to the side to cool.  The skin will separate from the meat and you can easily peal it off.  Also, take out the seeks on the inside. 

* Look for the Italian anchovies that are in a jar.  These anchovies are smaller, packed in good oil and the bones or small enough that they will disintegrate.  You don't de-bone the little fillets - you just toss them in and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment