Sunday, June 12, 2011

Taking A Big Pea


Trying before you buy is totally acceptable and most of the gardeners really respect the fact that you are choozie - unless you are crap in which case they call you names in a different language as you walk away - just like the ladies at the nail shop who I KNOW ARE TALKING SHIT about me right in front of my face!  Or perhaps talking about all of the strange crap under my nails and conversating about what I could have possibly been doing with my hands in order to corrupt the nails to such a degree.  For that reason I am going to get Rosetta Stone for Vietnamese. 

I have missed cutting my own finger tip off on more than one occasion - I have fake nails to thank for that - buys listen up!!

The last time I got my nails done I was trying to make small talk so I asked Mai where she does her shopping and if she makes a lot of traditional foods - she said yes and I recommended the huge Asian market off of Dale in the Como Neighborhood - I believe it's called the flower dragon??? I'd have to check - it's about a half mile north of university on Dale - on the west side of the street.

Let me tell you about this joint.  If you are insecure about being a minority (assuming you are whiter) then this is good place to fix that because you will definitely be a minority. And you know they sell fish when you get out of your car.  Their sea-food is so fresh it's actually living! 

The folks are so helpful you will be blown away at how accommodating they are and their willingness to explain and interpret the titles on the cans/bottles.  On of my favorite brands is the Big Red Cock brand.  Red can with Yellow righting and their mock-duck is pretty darn good.  he he he I just can't get over the name.  Karl doesn't see the humor but that's because he isn't a total juvenilely like I am.  Fun police!

So back to what I was writing about before - i found this delicious cold spring salad when watching Everyday Italian with Giada De Lurentis (is it me or does she have a giant melon??).  So I made a couple of minor changes but essentially it's her recipe and delicious!  I will also put some short cuts.

8 cups chicken broth (Wylers dry bullion is fine unless u are watching your salt)
2 cups dry orzo (this is one that you can use what ever brand BUT Creamette - based on the principle of it)
1 -15 oz can of garbanzo beans aka chick peas drained and diced (do this the packing sauce is disgusting and will add a weird taste to the salad)
1.5 cups Tear Drop Tomatoes - or cherry or whatever cut into 3/4 inch pieces
3/4 cup fine diced scallions or red onion
1/2 cup fine diced fresh basil - FRESH
1/4 cup fine diced mint FRESH
*1 cup shucked sugar snap peas
1 diced red pepper
3/4 cup red wine vinaigrette (recipe go follow)
Salt and Pepper

You can buy a pre-made red wine vinegar if you want or the lite Italian but the lite Italian really does change the recipe and had a weird taste but is a good way to save on some calories.

Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp honey
2 tsp salt and pepper
1 extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Boil the orzo in the chicken broth and drain - but do NOT rinse.  Put it into a container and toss it into the fridge to get it cold.

Mix together the peppers, peas, tomatoes, onions, herbs, beans and add back the chilled orzo.  Season with salt and pepper but taste it first because the chicken broth does add salt.

Mix the vinaigrette: combine vinegar, lemon, honey, salt and pepper in a blender preferably.  Or use an immersion blender - you can get one for $15 at walgreens - it is also called a "stick" blender.  You can make delicious creamed soups with it too. 

However, you can totally mix it vigorously.

If you can let it sit for a day that is even better - the ingredients meld together nicely.

Combine everything - toss - chill and eat!

*Keep your eyes out at the market for pre-shucked peas - you can find them from time to time.  I like to sit in front of the TV and watch Real Housewives of New York!  You can rinse frozen peas but honestly the taste of the fresh peas and the texture is what makes this salad really work - so try at all cost to get fresh peas.  You can find them at the store in the spring and at Trader Joes in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment